Thursday, August 15, 2013

Back to school mom's lunch

I had a last minute lunch with a few of my favorite ladies on the first day of THEIR kids going back to school!

Back to school day brings back bittersweet memories for me.  For a while it was exciting, but stressful when they were little.  Sticking to the school's schedule and demands for my kids' and my time was painful, 2nd grade homework and drama drove me insane, and the almost immediate labeling of kids as learning or behaviorally challenged rubbed me the wrong way. But then we home schooled for quite a few years.  It was stressful in a different way, but so much more relaxed and low key and playful and freeing, So then back to school day was awesome, we started when we wanted, stayed in our PJ's most of the time, went to the library, to the park, played, read, read, and read some more. The later high school years came and it was stressful again sticking to someone else's schedule for their days but in the end it was all for good because they made awesome friendships and had experiences that to this day we are all grateful for.
So, even though my kids are not going back to school on this day, lots of people that I care for are going through all these emotions and experiences in their own ways so I decided to just have a little lunch and I raided the garden and came up with all kinds of yummyness.


Cucumber cups with Tzatziki sauce and a friend brought pickled blackberries (yum!)
Bruschetta
Grrilled eggplants and tomatoes
raw zucchini noodles
chicken with dairy free faux pesto sauce (with a secreted ingredient instead of parmesan)
garden fresh watermelon
gluten free bread cut in cubes and broiled with olive oil, garlic & basil

I work on getting the recipes up soon.


1 comment: