Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fancy Tostones

Sorry about the lack of posts in the last two weeks. I got that new "phablet" I wanted and it's been fun setting it up just right and playing with it. Between working, having out of state family visiting for a week, and... somehow I've taken on a different little project. Helping the local animal shelter get into the 21st century with some social media exposure. You can check them out on Facebook and www.petfinders.com
I got all OCD on that project and knocked it out, but I'm sure there's more to do, and I'll be like... "ooooh shiny!" and I'll disappear again.

Anyway, I still gotta eat so I still gotta cook. So here is one of last week's experiment.

TOSTONES! (toes-toe-ness)

What the heck is tostones you say?
Only pure natural gluten free deliciousness. Duh!

Normally I just peel and  cut up the very green plantains into 1 inch or so slanted rounds, but this time i decided to use my new spiral slicer.
I made little tangled mounds and fried them until golden for about a minute on each side in grape seed oil.

Added some salt and pepper and enjoyed their crunchy goodness with some pan fried fish and a baby spinach, cucumber, tomato salad fresh from the garden.

Did you know that you can get tostones instead of french fries at most fast food franchises in Puerto Rico? And they ARE your side of fries at most authentic restaurants on the island.
True Story.



now I'm hungry, and homesick

No comments:

Post a Comment